Saturday, October 22, 2016

Second Assignment: Minecraft Blocks

For our second assignment in Level Design, we were charged with UV mapping a cube and creating a texture for it. Creating the cube was similar to the first assignment and didn't take much time to complete.



Once I had created the cube I proceeded to get familiarized with the UV editor and then promptly cut my cube up so it could be properly mapped. Once this was done I went on to map out a tamplet to use for each one of my textures so I could easily see which parts were the sides and which two were the bottom and top of the cube.




 I then went on to create all the different textures I wanted for the scene I had in mind. I ended up creating 5 different textures. Grass, Rock, Marble, Dirt, water, and Vortex.


 With all of those made, I went back to Maya to connect the textures to the cube, and then test it in some lighting.



I was finally ready to jump into Unreal and make my level! I already had an idea in mind for when I was making my textures. I wanted to create a magical effect gone wild, a vortex cube that was sucking up the ground, the lake, and even the mountains around it. It was then up to the player to stop this vortex from consuming everything in sight. They'd have to jump from floating block to floating block in order to get close to the vortex and add the necessary spell to stop it from eating the world. They themself being protected against it's sucking power, otherwise they would quickly die. I got to experiment a lot with grouping for this one, as the mountains are made out of 4 groups, which allowed me to copy their massive size way more easily, as doing the whole mountain at a time would lag up the system. I also got to play around a lot with the illusion of motion in a picture, and with lighting.












1 comment:

  1. Very intense project, watch how much saturation you add to your lights. Only add a small amount of color to your lights or they become very artificial looking. Would be nice if there was more elevation change on your main ground floor in various places.

    ReplyDelete